Thursday, April 02, 2009

Bishop Skip

Recently our church community was shocked to learn that our bishop was gone. He suffered a stroke and died the same day. He was loved by everyone and we all went to him when we were troubled. He was 64. Tonight there is a special service for our community and the funeral is tomorrow. My initial reaction was one of joy for him. He wouldn't have to suffer the indignities of old age or the pain of a lingering illness. He was unconscious for most of it. He had done a lot of good and God saw that it was enough. Then my Big Guy pointed out that it might not be a good idea to present all these cheerful opinions to those who were still grieving. I wasn't home at the time(away on a trip) so I wasn't in the thick of it. He had just finished counseling a weeping church lady. So I reflected and realized I was afrain to grieve, afraid because everyone has died, my parents, his, my ex spouse, his, my ex sister-in-law, my aunts, uncles, sister, his brother. It was just too painful to start all that again. It would be easier to skip to the acceptance part. But it don't work like that. I'm sure more will come up tonight at the service. I was able to shed some tears when I wrote about him and again when I read the obituary he had written for himself. He was such an intelligent witty guy. I will miss hime.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

i am sorry to hear that piece of news Ms Rose! and thanks for your forwarded email. I love it!

recently a band called Human Brothers added me on myspace. He completed a tribute to his late mom and the song was amazing.

He will be missed, and I will keep him in prayer. God has better plans for him so he will be at a much better place. I hope you're doing fine!

always reading,

Sandra :)