Sunday, July 27, 2008

Neahwantha Inn

This week I and an old friend went to Michigan near Traverse City. We spent a few days in the Neahwantha Inn. Attended a yoga class and enjoyed the quiet, no TV. The inn overlooked the lake there was even a yacht in the bay. The bathrooms had old fashioned sinks, one with a marble sink. The claw foot tub was long and deep. All the furniture was antique or hand crafted. It was great stay. Breakfast was provided each day and consisted of organic foods and very healthy. I didn't want to leave.

I remembered how quiet a home is without TV. When I was a child there was none, only radio. My mom and dad only turned the radio on to listen to a program then. It didn't blare all day. Inner Sanctum, The Lone Ranger, Amos and Andy, Stella Dallas. Those were the days. Life was more restful then slower paced and relaxed. I felt safe as a child. Living on a farm outside of town it was just me, my family, and the neighbors. Simplicity.

Staying at the inn was a lot like going to stay with a relative. I recommend it to anyone who wants a quiet rustic place to stay in Northern Michigan.

5 comments:

NITIN BADHWAR said...

Yes Rose Aunty

You are right.Life without gadgets was very quite and charming.People used to have lot of time for family and friends.Earlier one car used to be matter of joy for whole family now one family has 2 to 3 cars but joy is gone, earlier only radio or in case TV also only 1 or 2 channels but kids like us used to enjoy,now we have 1000 plus channels but none is enjoyed.
So I feel law of diminishing returns applies everywhere.
Soon this life style will also become monotonous and people will return to same old stuff.
Cycle of Life & Death prevails everywhere.Nice to read that you joined yoga.I don't know what are the respiratory exercises they taught you.Pranayaam is the exercise what I learned from Yoga gurus in India.There is a huge wave of Yoga going on in India for years now and people have been cured of many diseases.As yoga was developed by Hindus,so it was the matter of pride for all of us.But you may say because of the influence of Mughals and Imperialism ,Hindus had completely forgotten the scientific values of their religion . Great Guru Baba Ram Dev brought back to the memory of masses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Ramdev

Regards

Nitin

sweet rose said...

Well we can say that the old times were best but if we were living them we would probably complain too. I study Hatha yoga and have for about 10+ years. My teacher attends a lot of training weekends. I like the relaxation it gives.

NITIN BADHWAR said...

Hatha Yoga is one of the difficult Yoga forms and is practiced by some sadhus ( saints ) in India.
Those people can stand for days without moving and can bury themselves in earth for days.
BTW its very surprising to know its practiced in America too....
Hats off to you

Regards

Nitin

sweet rose said...

I am not that intense. We only hold poses a short time but it helps increase body awareness.

NITIN BADHWAR said...

नम्स्ते - रोस -आन्टी
Namste - Rose- Aunty

Namste is the way to greet in my language.This is nice that you are managing some good Yoga form.
In hindi yoga is called YOG
I don't know why a is put with every hindi word.
Anyways how is life ?
Nice to see your photographs .
I love Stan's photographs too.He is too good in street photography.
I post some naughty comments too, please don't mind that , as its just to out a smile on someones face.

Regards

|| Om Shanti Om ||
Nitin