Sunday, November 09, 2008

New and old

This has been a great week. We have a new president who can't wait to get started. He is already working and he doesn't have to work until January. He will be a good president and accomplish much.

The weather has turned cooler and I have been using my new pellet stove. It is amazing. It stops if it isn't getting fuel. It shuts off if it gets too hot. It burns a hot fire with very little fuel. It is great.

Leaves keep falling and I keep raking. Michigan Dude has blown a lot of them to the curb from the backyard and I have been raking the front. Some of the oak leaves don't fall until the new buds come on in the spring. The colors have been lovely. I will add a picture of some of the beauty.

We are progressing on our house. Soon will have the upstairs windows in and the cracks around them sealed. The big windows are in but there are two little side windows that blow cold air because there are cracks around them. The down bath is still bare. Big Guy cleaned it out and tore out the floor. His progress since has been limited due to other projects but I think he is about to refocus his efforts on the bath. It will be wonderful when it is finished.

Life is becoming more fun. I have adjusted to staying home and doing what needs to be done here then finding things I want to do. Some days I have to remind myself that I am retired and can play all day if I want. Days are interesting and I am surprised when I look at the clock instead of thinking the day will never end, I think is it that late already?

Lately I have been mourning the death of my Aunt Catherine. She died at age 95 this year and my sister Alice died a few months prior. They were both severly debilitated and I welcomed their deaths for their sakes. But now I miss my aunt when I was younger and she was at herself. She was my counsel and my listener. I can't stop by her house because it has been sold. I can drive by and I do often. But she is gone and I can only imagine what she would say and how our time together would be. I also realize that I haven't been able to mourn her until now. May be because I feared it would hurt too much.

No comments: