Sunday, December 06, 2009

With One Voice

Life is always giving me a different direction. I go along thinking I know where I am going or better yet where I am, only to find out I haven't got a clue. I was comforted to learn that when you can say I don't know it only means that you have an open mind and more to find out.

I was fortunate this week in being able to see a new documentary by Mat and Carol Flickstein called, "With One Voice". Many spiritual teachers of many differing faiths were interviewed in a free form style. No leading questions other than the topic. Each teacher was given the option to discuss spirituality as it pertains to religion for about 90 minutes. They talked about their own spiritual experiences and about how religion and spirituality differ. Also addressed was how peace and conflict can exist together without starting war. Then the editor cut things down to the best of all in about a 78 min film. It was so intense regarding thought provocation that I have to buy it so I can slow it down and absorb it better. After the film I had a hard time referring to different teachers or being able to put the teacher with the teaching, despite my efforts to remember who said what during the film.

It was a good documentary because I wanted to see it again as did some of my friends who were present. Many answers and many questions still remain. I am awed by the teachers who spend their lives looking for answers.

No comments: